Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"The Hu Jintao suite is ready, sir."

Now its official: has, finally, photographic prove of where the final decisions on the new Politburo were made. Right here in this room of the 如家酒店 Home Inn Hotel in Beijing City.

I wonder, is there any standard translation for that key card action?

P.S. Additionally, a little logo check. I leave the commenting to my readers.

Many thanks, Chris, for the picture and the hint!


At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Diane wrote ...

Can you give a translation for that key card action?

At 12:58 PM, Blogger olr — 纪韶融 wrote ...

Hi Diane,

I think I've never seen it explicitly stated on the card slot.
As usual, sticking to an important translation rule (keep it simple!),
I'd go for "Please insert key card here".

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Michael wrote ...

but from chinese, it seems the chip side of the card should be towards inside.

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Michael wrote ...

see this: a Kids furniture and clothing store

like chinese '关键性问题' there are two absolutely different meanings.

At 10:29 AM, Blogger olr — 纪韶融 wrote ...

Michael, I highly doubt that there is a chip on that simple hotel key card! The 内 rather stands for inserting that thing into the socket, I guess.



At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote ...

As a Chinese, 芯片朝内取电 suggests to me what it seemed to Michael. If it only means inserting the key card into the socket, it should have been something like 此处插入匙卡.

Unfortunately I have forgotten the design of an Home Inn key, though I stayed in that hotel a few times. Can anyone testify?


At 11:56 AM, Blogger olr — 纪韶融 wrote ...

Silvano, Michael, I have to give you credit, my dictionaries in reach didn't offer me the right meaning of 芯片. I know 芯 as "lamp pith" :).

I am now pretty convinced that the management really wants you to insert the card with the chip facing inside.

It is rather unusual these days to rely on words rather than graphics to explain this, but if I had to translate it, I'd say:

"Please insert with chip side facing up."

Thanks for solving that!


At 2:48 AM, Anonymous JSteven wrote ...

"Please insert the key card here." This sentence plus a graphic sign indicating the side with the chip should be "朝内."

Or rather the sign on the card and the sentence on the socket/slot, whatever.

At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Jack wrote ...

face up指面朝上,当门卡水平插入的时候,芯片朝上可以这么说。现在门卡是竖着插的,也就是“芯片朝内”,不知道这个“朝内”的方向英语该怎么说呢?face in?

At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote ...

It means "Insert card with strip faced in to turn on power"

It's a kind of control switch inside a hotel room to save electric power. When the guest leaves the room and takes the key card, all lights will be turned off.

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous 粉仔 wrote ...

正确应该是:insert for charging


Post a Comment

<< Home